Our Houston Animal Hospital Provides Hydrotherapy for Pets
Hydrotherapy is holistic, water-based therapy for pets with postoperative, musculoskeletal, circulatory, nervous system conditions. By allowing an animal's body to remain buoyant while performing therapeutic exercises guided by your veterinarian near Houston, the pet's weight is adequately supported. This means the animal is not constantly struggling against the power of gravity, which helps to dramatically reduce stress and strain on joints and muscles. Hydrotherapy not only creates a safer, more advantageous environment for pets to recover from disease or surgery, it is also fun for all pets that enjoy playing in the water.
Benefits of Hydrotherapy
In addition to building muscle strength and flexibility in pets with joint disorders, hydrotherapy provided by our veterinarians in Houston also:
- Delays progression of joint diseases such as osteoarthritis and degenerative bone disorder. The rhythmic, low-impact physical activity of hydrotherapy keeps ligaments and fluids involved in joint movement stimulated and healthier than if joints remained sedentary.
- Helps relieve joint pain and stiffness while increasing range of motion
- Improves circulatory and immune system functioning by gently making the lungs and heart work harder to pump more blood through the body.
- Contributes to a stronger heart, enlarged lung capacity and healthier blood supply. In addition, the growth of new blood vessels is stimulated, which increases blood flow to your pet's muscles, joints, and brain.
- Enhances drainage of lymph nodes to facilitate removal of toxins in the body responsible for numerous chronic diseases
- Encourages digestive processes to make it easier for intestines to absorb food nutrients and distribute them throughout the animals' body
- Promotes coordination and balance in pets that are partially paralyzed, lame or missing a limb
- Supports wound healing and rehabilitation associated with major surgeries
- Helps overweight pets regain a healthy weight for their size and breed
What Conditions Benefit from Hydrotherapy?
Hydrotherapy is considered an "all-around" type of veterinary pet therapy because it will improve your pet's physical, cognitive and emotional well-being. In addition to treating general joint degeneration and stiffness, your veterinarians in Houston recommends hydrotherapy for improving the following health issues in pets:
- Elbow and hip dysplasia
- Patella luxation
- Osteoarthritis (degenerative joint disease)
- Rehabilitation for total hip replacement
- Spinal stenosis
- Degenerative disc disease
- Spinal trauma
- Peripheral neuropathy
- Soft tissue injury
- Cognitive decline in older pets
Hydrotherapy consists of allowing dogs to swim freely, using a special treadmill designed for dogs or placing animals in supportive harnesses while your veterinarians in Houston therapeutically manipulate a pet's limbs in water.
Contact Our Veterinarian in Houston to Schedule an Appointment Today!
To learn more about holistic, veterinary hydrotherapy for pets, please contact Veterans Memorial Drive Animal Hospital in Houston at 281-440-4441 to schedule a consultation appointment